Some songs are missing. Sorry about that. Trilulilu.ro lost them during one of their many plastic surgeries.
You may have some luck
here.

________________________________________


17 December 2010

ENTER THE VOID


Delia Derbyshire - Air On G String


Listen to this little song. I know you know it, it's Bach. But this version was, ok I'll use the word, haunting in Gaspar NoƩ's Enter The Void, which I have started watching last night around 23.30, without realizing that it's 2.1/2 hours long. What with the cat and everything, I went to sleep around 3.
The rest of the soundtrack was more or less made by Thomas Banglate of Daft Punk, a band I don't really concur with. I say more or less because some people say he has indeed composed the soundtrack, while others say he's just provided Gaspar with some samples and weird noises, but was unable to do the soundtrack himself as he was busy working on another one, the one for Tron -Legacy.
Anyway.
I fell asleep around 3, but quite satisfied. Irreversible was a good film. No matter how sickening some scenes may have been (we all know which ones), you cannot say the film was shit, you just can't. Enter The Void is better, I feel.
And you know what's weird? Personally I hate and actively avoid movies that use explicit sex or violence (or over-zealous CGI, for that matter) as cheap bait, it's disgusting and retarded 9 out of 10 times. The masturbation in Ken Park and the fellatio in Brown Bunny are two perfect examples, but since this isn't a movie blog, I won't go there. Irreversible and Enter The Void both have those two items - explicit violence and sex -, but somehow it doesn't feel gratuitous at all. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it feels natural, noninvasive (if anything, you're the intruder) and almost tender at times. Granted, it won't feel like that to everybody, so be warned. But for a film dealing with death, afterlife, drugs, sex, abortion, car-crashes and all that, it's very poetic. I don't think I would've watched it, had I read the synopsis beforehand. It feels sick when you read about it, but it's quite a visual and emotional treat when you watch it. The film didn't shock me in itself, what shocked me was that I liked it.

And this version of the song is perfect, just perfect, in the film and in general (just to pretend this was only about the music all along.)

P.S. Worth mentioning: more about Delia Derbyshire here. I have the feeling there will be more of her here.

No comments: