Some songs are missing. Sorry about that. Trilulilu.ro lost them during one of their many plastic surgeries.
You may have some luck
here.

________________________________________


14 December 2010

HALF A MOJO


Asaf Avidan & The Mojos - Through the Gale


Asaf Avidan & The Mojos - Poseidon's Fury Unleashed


Asaf Avidan doesn't waste much time, does he? Three years, three albums.
I now realize I've never trusted much prolific people. Something fishy. Can you be creative at that speed? And he's 30, what's the rush? I'm almost 35 and I haven't done anything, and look at me, I'm fine. Never mind the eye-twitch, I'm fine.
Zappa doesn't grow on trees, you know.
The point being, The Reckoning and Poor Boy/Lucky Man were good albums. This guy practically forced me into listening to Janis Joplin again, that's how good they were. And I despise the bitch.
This new album is...a bit rushed?

Through the Gale is a short album, under half an hour, so time is of the essence after all. I've listened to it on repeat at least 15 times, I think. No song has grabbed me like "Her Lies" or "The Ghost of A Thousand Little Lies" have, I kept realizing that the album had ended and begun again and I couldn't really tell when. But then I really strapped myself into the chair, paid attention and noticed the good bits as well. It's not a bad album. It's like a cookie: tastes good, but you're only delaying eating real food.

"Hoist up the colors" is jumpy and dancy and vibrant. It may as well be Muse. It kicks off the record on a positive note and you prick your ears up and go "yes?"
Then comes "Through the Gale", the first track I put up here. Again, I may be wrong, but the bass and guitar could very well be Muse or Placebo. But in a good way. I like it. His voice sounds so tired, maybe that's why I like it.
And on and on, you've got your haunting ballads and your head-banging rock (Poseidon's Fury Unleashed), you've got it all in a nice little 30 min snack of an album. Yum.
Now, who's hungry?

No comments: