Some songs are missing. Sorry about that. Trilulilu.ro lost them during one of their many plastic surgeries.
You may have some luck
here.

________________________________________


28 July 2011

LONELY AVENUE


Oh yeah, forgot about this.
Ben Folds...well, I never really listen to him, do I? But he's teamed up with Nick Hornby whom I do read. This happened in 2010 I think. They both strike me as laid back, sensitive, witty, intelligent guys. Nothing too deep or too heavy, not the fascinating brooding type these guys. Which is so cool, cause I'm so sick of the 13 years old Ian Curtis slash Amelie-wannabe slash Courtney Love types. I'm guessing you get to an age where all that seems sort of silly and you kinda light up a cigarette, put your feet up and start talking simple, using words everybody knows and then the need to be spectacular sort of fades leaving room for being honest, helpful and humane instead. You probably smile more often then. No, life's no breeze, but it's not constant hurricane either. Chill. It's not all gonna be ok, it's just gonna be life, there's nothing much you can do about it and that's exactly what's beautiful about it.

So anyway, these two guys made this album, "Lonely Avenue". Hornby wrote the lyrics. They sound like Hornby. This man believes that everybody should be able to read books, that books are not supposed to be written by authors for other authors, using complex metaphors and a vocabulary to warp Einstein's mind. No, books are for people, they should use their language because reading is good for you. I admire that.

And so the album sounds like it's been conceived by Ben and Nick. Light, colorful, even fun. It's a nice break from beautiful yet convoluted Mars Volta or, god forbid, Joy Division. This album is simple and insightful.
Oh and I love the lyrics to the song "Password", but the song is kinda cheesy, I feel, and could have been 2 minutes shorter. So I'm putting this one instead:

Ben Folds & Nick Hornby - A Working Day

No comments: