Some songs are missing. Sorry about that. Trilulilu.ro lost them during one of their many plastic surgeries.
You may have some luck
here.

________________________________________


21 August 2011

the Q&A thing

I'll just steal this Q&A from Cherry because it feels like a good way to spend a Sunday morning. I'll try hard not to answer each and every question with 'Ween'.

1. Name a band or an artist you can’t believe you liked when you were younger


Not an easy one. I know most people who know me better would expect the answer to be Michael Jackson, but no, that's not it. I'll come back to that later. No, I guess I can't believe I liked Red Hot Chili Peppers. Although, in all fairness, Blood Sugar Sex Magik was a good album, first cd I ever bought. But, you know, that 'K' at the end is exactly the reason I can't stand them now: too flashy, trying so hard to stand out, concentrating too much on being 'wacky' and less and less on being a good rock band. They look like the Muppets to me now. They sound like the Muppets, too.
And HOW could I ever forget: Placebo! My God, what was I thinking?? Bleargh!

2. Name a band or an artist you hated when you were younger and you now love.

I wouldn't go as far as hate, but I did get bored out of my mind listening to the Beatles and Adriano Celentano, my parents were playing them all the time. I have come to appreciate both. It's weird how memories morph and change shape incubating inside your mind over the years, turning from worms to butterflies. Especially with Celentano, I mean how does he fit in near Ween, the Residents, Mike Patton, Nick Cave, NIN and the rest of them? I don't know, but he does. I know it may not look like it, but he was actually cool back in the day, he was kind of like, I don't know, the Steve McQueen of italian music. Boy, am I getting old...Steve McQueen, what the fuck?

Oh oh oh: I used to really roll my eyes when I heard Queens Of The Stone Age, but nowI just roll with it, they're fucking great. White Stripes and Jack in general, too.

Adriano Celentano - Do Dap


3. Name a band or a singer who stood the test of time (you liked from the first time you listened to it/him/her).

I'm sorry, but this has got to be Ween. I've known them for 16-17 years now, never got bored and probably never will. I'll make an effort not to start yet another endless monologue about how great they are and how grateful I am for their existence, how much they've helped me and how much they give me with each and almost every song and all that. You know the drill by now.
Other people/bands that need be mentioned at this point:
- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
- Leonard Cohen (I just llllove to think that "In My Secret Life" defines me completely, but in all honesty, I think any song by Celine Dion could describe some of my moods just as well, so...)
- The Pixies
- Tom Waits (I can't listen to him too often, but when I do, I do it for long stretches of time and it doesn't feel wrong at all)

Ween - Buenas Tardes Amigo (live Toronto)


4. Name a song you can’t resist to dance/tap to

I tap to everything and anything, I love drums. But there are several songs that get me drumming more than others. Two come to mind
:
- Mr Bungle - Ars Moriendi
- Muse - Stockholm Syndrome. I remember one time in a bar, the barman gave me two drum sticks and played this song. My knees were raw meat at the end of it.

Muse - Stockholm Syndrome


As for the dancing. Alright, I'll just close my eyes and say it real quick: Michael Jackson. Yep. There. I said it. I don't really dance to anything else, not with all my heart anyway, but that fucker gets me going every time. I was watching "This Is It" last year and I couldn't help it, I fucking danced to a documentary. Since I was a fan, in my more pubescent years, it's really become a habit that dies hard indeed. And, the thing is, I don't want it to die either. With everything else I find my dancing really boring, but when I hear Billie Jean I get all happy feet....so there.

5. Name an album you like each and every song from.


List, in no particular order:

1. Ween - Chocolate & Cheese
2. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
3. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Svperstar
4. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Let Love In
5. Depeche Mode - Violator
6. Radiohead - OK Computer
7. Mr. Bungle - California or Fantomas - Director's Cut

Depeche Mode - Waiting for the Night


6. Name a band or an artist you’re so fed up with you never want to hear about anymore.

Now, here I'm not sure if we're talking about an artist I used to like or one I hated from the beginning.

If it's one I used to like, I guess RHCP would qualify again. Probably REM as well, they bore me to tears now. I'm also quite fed up with people that come up to me and say "You're into rock, right? You must love System of a Down / Linkin Park / Deftones / Limp Bizkit / Metallica / etc then!" Actually, NO! I don't have a car, so I'm not interested in bumper stickers.
Tool gets an honorable mention here, too.

If we're talking about bands I loathed from the beginning, then the list is pretty long, I'm not even gonna go into the whole thing. From, of course, The Killers (and the lot) to Nouvelle Vague and - going a bit deeper now - from the Cure to Swans. Can't stand them. I can manage depression without your eager help, thank you.

7. Name a band or an album that your partner or friends love and you can’t stand.

Well, see above.I can't be bothered to think about stuff I don't like anymore.

8. Your favourite cover.

Hard. The first one that comes to mind is Mondo Cane - Storia D'Amore (Celentano). But let's dig a little deeper.
1. Sonic Youth - Superstar (Carpenters)
2. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Come To Daddy (Aphex Twin)
3. Fantomas - Charade (Mancini)
4. The Mars Volta - Memories (Soft Machine)
5. Siouxie & the Banshees - Trust In Me (from Jungle Book, whoever wrote that one)
...and more....
p.s. New entry in this category: this cover.

Mondo Cane - Storia D'amore



Siouxie & the Banshees - Trust In Me


9. Your favourite song or band right now.

Sorry:
Ween - A Tear for Eddie

Ween - A Tear For Eddie


2 comments:

cherry said...

the dancing to MJ part I wouldn't have guessed. I wanna see that :D
[glad you stole it, really :D]

weebzam said...

You'll see me dance to MJ over my dead body. :)