Some songs are missing. Sorry about that. Trilulilu.ro lost them during one of their many plastic surgeries.
You may have some luck
here.

________________________________________


20 August 2011

CAESAR



Shit, you know, I might as well turn this into a Ween blog and call it a day. I can't help it. I tend to rediscover this band over and over, at least once a year, and I've known them for...what? 16 years now? The first song I ever heard from them was "Spinal Meningitis (got me down)" and it was recommended by a friend who'd assured me it would make me "sick and soft at the same time". It did. I listened to the whole album and I was floored. I was into Red Hot Chili Peppers at the time, thought Flea was God and Anthony a man, mind you, so the stretch from that to Ween was going to be, theoretically, not an easy one. But I eased right in, for I was so inclined. Then Pure Guava came next, the same friend gave it to me somewhat reluctantly: he didn't think I was ready for it. Oh, I was so ready. I fucking danced to "Mourning Glory"!
Recently, Mickey gave us this sweet present: "Caesar demos" - the Quebec outtakes. The following song is from this collection. Now let me see, how many gay songs do Ween have?

1. Homo Rainbow
2. Mr. Richard Smoker
3. Slow Down Boy (Let him blow you...........away" LMFAO! My other favorite Gene pause being "could you smell my whole......life")
4. Boys Club (?)
5. If you ask me, "Dancing In The Show Tonight" sounds pretty gay too. Sung by either a 12 yrs old boy or an 88 yrs old grandpa, both of which are not even aware they're so gay, but they so are.
6. And now this, "Ambrosia Parsley", an obvious and friendly stab at Prince, formerly known as an artist.

Now, I'm not sure this one was intended to sound gay, maybe it was supposed to just be sexy, maybe he's still licking a pussy and not sucking a cock, but when you hear Gener whispering "David, I wanna get naked" (that's what he says, right?) and then "Heavy on the cream, soaking down your mountain top", err..well, you kinda sport some doubts.
Just for fun, try this: imagine the dance scene in "Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow" while this song is playing. Am I right? Is it fabulous or what? Oh, somebody should definitely do that.

And, dude, hold on a sec: David? Not Dave Dreiwitz! Say it ain't so. I draw a blank trying to imagine Dave having sex. I love that guy and I've been told that impossible is nothing, but I just can't go there. And maybe that's healthy.

Oh, just now I notice the obvious: this is the Billie Jean beat. It actually starts like Billie Jean, but then the bass takes it elsewhere. Now that's another thing that doesn't help the gay vibe much.
I'm sorry, was that in bad taste?
But see, that's just the thing with these guys: you can't get offended. They mean no harm. They have no beef with anyone and fight for no turf, there's nothing to prove. It's all fun. I mean, they've definitely not been coy about things like AIDS, child death, all kinds of sex, race, drugs, misogyny, sick ponies, you name it. They spelled it right out, loud and clear. But you can't get offended because it's never malicious, never crude.

Ween - Ambrosia Parsley


I have also recently fell in love with the live version of  Jonny. Much rockier than the original, while the lyrics remain just as weird.
And "A Tear For Eddie" has been on repeat in my head for weeks and weeks now.

Ween - I'll Be Your Jonny On Th' Spot (live Chicago)

5 comments:

Franco said...

Just so you know, the part does in fact say "David, I wanna get naked". But I'll fill you in.....

The song is talking about Ambrosia Parsley the lead singer of indi-band Shivaree famous for their song "Goodnight moon". David Ayers is Ambrosia Parsley's husband. So when they're saying "David, I wanna get naked" it's Ambrosia Parsley saying that through his narration. The writers of this song obviously know or are friends with Ambrosia and decided to make a funky sex song about her. Anyone who is fan enough will understand that this is Ambrosia's type of humor.

weebzam said...

*slaps his head* Right you are!
I know Shivaree, of course I do, and I like "Goodnight moon" and...some others. I guess I never felt the urge to dig deep enough, I had no idea her name was Ambrosia Parsley.
Oh, this is by far better than Dave Dreiwitz, thank you so much :)

weebzam said...

"Thundercats"! That was the other one I liked from her. God, it took me all morning to remember.

Franco said...

Well so glad i got that gross image out of your head! hahaha

And Umm, Don't kill me but I had never hear of Ween until a couple yesterday when i heard this song due to the fact that I'm a big fan of Shivaree and Ambrosia Parsley. I gotta say, I'm loving this sound. Imma have to check them out a little more.

weebzam said...

I'm not gonna kill you, but seriously, you should be dead by now. :)
Check them out. You're in for a big surprise.